Chemotherapy is provided on-site through Illinois Oncology, Ltd. Because chemotherapy is often used in conjunction with radiation therapy, having both treatments available in one place, close enough to walk from one to the other, makes care exceptionally easy on our patients.
Chemotherapy is the administration of drugs that destroy cancer cells in the body. There are more than 100 types of “chemo” drugs to treat cancer and even more still under development and investigation.
Chemotherapy has a variety of purposes:
- To cure a specific cancer
- To control tumor growth when cure is not possible
- To shrink tumors before surgery or radiation therapy
- To relieve symptoms (such as pain)
- To destroy microscopic cancer cells that may be present after the known tumor is removed by surgery to prevent a possible cancer reoccurrence